Outdoor Fitness Training in Prague Parks
Outdoor fitness in Prague: do your training in one of the many city parks. Fitness training in fresh air boosts not only your physical but also your mental health. Another advantage is that you save money because outdoor fitness training is free and the bonus is a good dose of vitamin D. Forget about the expensive gym, and do outdoor fitness in one of Prague’s parks. There are so many parks in the city that you can choose a different park every time you train.
Outdoor fitness training is, of course, not the same as training in a gym where you have lots of equipment that you can use. Yet outdoor, you can always do basic exercises, on uneven bars, cross trainer, air walker of twister. Do pull-ups, push-ups and squats. If you want to climb, go to the climbing wall in Gutovka outdoor sports centre. As outdoor fitness is popular in Prague, many parks are suitable for jogging, skating and running. Often there is a special part in the park with fitness equipment. Outdoor fitness is also an excellent way to meet Czechs and conversation is easy because most young people speak English.
6x Outdoor fitness in the park
1. Fitness Park RVL 13 in Riegrovy Sady 28 is large and there are differences in height, so it is very suitable for running, jogging and cycling. You will find fitness equipment and a lawn which can also be used for yoga and other exercises. The park is popular, especially after six in the evening and on Saturdays it gets very busy.
Take tram 6, 11 or 22 to the Italska stop. The Riegrovy park is a 3-minute walk from the tram stop. More about Riegrovy.
2. Sacre Coeur park, Kartouzska street 10, a walkway connects the park with the Novy Smichov shopping centre. It is a relatively small park and features a fitness trail with six different types of fitness equipment. Each an instruction notice with exercises and how the device works.
Take metro line B to Andel station. On the first floor (near the toilets) of the Novy Smichov shopping centre is the walkway.
3. Outdoor fitness Stezka Rokytka, Pod Spalovnou is not in the centre but definitely worth checking out. Here you will find a fitness trail with 25 devices and instructions with exercises. There are regular free sessions with a coach.
Tram 3 or 8 to the U Elektry stop. Follow U Elektry street to the left at Pod spalovnou, 5 minutes’ walk from the tram stop.
4. Letna Park is ideal for outdoor fitness and in the city centre. A 1.5-kilometer loop around the park is perfect for running, cycling and roller skating. The park features a tennis court, an open space to play table tennis and petanque.
Arriving from Old Town Square, take Pařížská Street an cross the Svatopluk Čech Bridge. The fitness training starts right here because you have to climb a long flight of stairs. More about Letna.
5. Gutovka is a large open-air sports centre with a beach volleyball court, soccer field, climbing wall, multi-purpose field (ideal for basketball or volleyball) and a large skate park. Admission is free, but some activities such as the climbing wall must be paid for. This sports centre is very popular and always busy, but still plenty of space to do your fitness training. There is also a restaurant and a small beer garden on site.
Take the green metro line A to Strašnická station, walk through the pedestrian tunnel and you will arrive in Gutovka. More about Gutovka.
6. Stromovka Park is vast and suitable for cycling, jogging and running, which can be combined with strength training. In the park, you can train on horizontal bars of three different heights, a balance beam and vaulting equipment. Outdoor fitness Stromovka is located on the western side of the park. Stromovka is located next to the Výstaviste exhibition area. Take tram 5, 12 or 17 to the Výstaviste stop. More about Stromovka.
Fitness training and bike rides
If you feel energetic and want to do fitness training in a group, join an organized bike tour. Groups of ten people maximum, accompanied by an experienced guide who knows everything about cycling and the sights of Prague like the back of his hand. If you are not very energetic, do your fitness training on an electric bicycle! Good to know: if it rains, you can reschedule or cancel the tour for free. More about guided bike tours.
photos: Marianne Crone and Jeroen Schornagel