Recipe Czech Potato Salad
Potato salad is the mainstay of Czech cuisine and each housewife has her own recipe. This salad is traditionally served with Schnitzels and carp which is ‘the Czech turkey’ at Christmas. Potato salad is also the main ingredient used in open-faced sandwiches. You need not be a top chef to prepare a potato salad.
Potato salad, popular all over Europe and North America, is said to have originated in Germany where it is not a meal in itself but a side dish which accompanies the main dish.
Potato Salad Recipe
* 1 kg potatoes
* 2 carrots
* 1 big onion
* 3 pickled gherkins
* 2 hardboiled eggs
* 50 g peas (from a tin)
* 1 Tbs mustard
* 1 Tbs olive oil
* 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
* finely chopped fresh parsley (optional)
* salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil unpeeled potatoes in water with salt and let cool off
2. Peel and dice the potatoes and the hardboiled eggs
3. Finely chop the onion, pickles and parsley
4. Mix all ingredients together gradually adding the mustard and olive oil
5. Add the mayonnaise and stir gently
Potato salad tastes best when you eat it the next day.